Friday, October 01, 2004

"The cheers to this idea" sessions. Volume 2


guiness
Originally uploaded by shodoboy.

Wow, to cut a long story short, as it's been a long day and I'm tired.

I was travelling back from a new branch today, which is literally over 3 hours door to door. I had a beer on the super express home and got off in Hachioji to catch the local express - only to realise I had left my wallet on the express train. Ouch!

Being in a foreign country - such times have an added dimension as you have to negotiate the dilemma in a foreign tongue. Japanese speakers may find the following (translated) section amusing;

Me: Excuse me, I took a super express train this evening from Kofu and my wallet is on the super express train
Station master: Go to platform 3 and explain
Me: Excuse me,I took a super express train this evening and my wallet is on the super express train.
Sm: What colour is it?
Me:Black:
Sm: Were you sitting in the window or aisle seat?
Me: Not the window seat (I don't know the word for aisle seat in Japanese and having only just heard it, cannot replicate it immediately)
Sm: What does it contain?
Me: (my life) Money, credit cards etc...

The Hachioji station master phoned through to Shinjuku station ( about 1 hour away) and they searched the express when it reached Shinjuku and ...... found my wallet!

Thank you JR.


I got home late this evening (after a few celebratory drinks) but another example of great service in Japan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

;