Friday, September 24, 2004

Be a wise monkey with coffee in Japan.

A picture of the 3 wise monkeys taken in Niko. But are you a wise monkey when it comes to size in Japan?

There are many differences between Japan and England. Once I went to buy canned coffee from a vending machine, and noticed they had two sizes of the same coffee , with a choice of 200 or 350 ml sized cans, both for the same price? This struck me as very odd -- who wouldn't choose the larger can? I went for the bigger size, while I noticed the Japanese people around me all chose the smaller can. Turns out they knew something I didn't,though. The amount of coffee in both cans was the same; the larger can contained more water, and didn't taste as good as the smaller can. Often, Maybe Westerners are more conditioned to perceive value based on size or quantity rather than taste,something I would never have noticed without coming to Japan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

;